A Security Digital Card(SD Card) stores additional amounts of information for you.
Even though Android smartphones nowadays provide users with sufficient space to store data, the demand for SD Cards is still high. Perhaps you can use the extra storage to store lengthy videos, or you may need it to save the high-resolution photos.
Google has introduced a feature known as ‘Adoptable Storage’ with Android 6.0 Marshmallow where you can install the APK files on SD Cards. This way you can overcome the space problem if your smartphone has less internal memory.
Even though your device is running on Android 6.0 and above, the adoptable storage feature might not be there. In some cases, the manufacturer disables the feature.
You can configure your SD card to behave as the internal storage on Android in an easy manner. But this process will format your SD card, so backup your data. You can follow 8 easy steps given below to use an SD Card as internal storage on Android.
Use SD Card As Internal Storage on Android
- Put the SD card in your Android device. Wait till it is detected.
- Once the detection is done, open the Settings and tap on Storage.
- Tap the name of your SD card. Then tap on the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Storage Settings.
- In the next step, tap on Use as internal storage.
- Once you go to the next screen, tap Erase & Format to format your SD card as internal storage.
- You will then be notified if Android finds that your SD card is slow. A popup will be shown regarding this, tap OK to continue. Then you will be asked to move the data to the new storage. You can either select Move now or Move later.
- Tap Done to finish the storage adoption process for your SD card.
After the format process completes, you have the freedom to use your removable SD card as pseudo permanent storage. But keep in mind, it’s not hot-swappable like the portable SD cards. So, don’t remove it without using the Eject option. Moreover, you can practically remove the adopted storage but it is not recommended as it may cause errors on the device.
Now, if you want to make the SD card portable again, then open the storage option and tap on your SD card. Now tap on the option ‘Format as portable’ to make it portable again
Read more posts related to Android Phone here: