Is your Xfinity remote not working? If so, don’t worry – you’ll find effective methods to fix the problem in this article.
Comcast Cable Communications offers wireless, internet, telephone, and cable TV services. Its trading name is Xfinity. The company also offers a variety of remote controls for different television sets.
Although Xfinity‘s services are generally excellent, some users have reported having trouble with the remote control. Without a properly working remote, you cannot control your TV.
Therefore, in this post, we’re going to explain the most common causes of Xfinity remote not working issues and how to fix the problem.
So, whether your remote has stopped working completely or just isn’t responding correctly, keep reading for easy solutions to get your remote up and running again.
What Is The Cause Of Xfinity Remote Not Working?
Before we turn to the solutions, let’s take a look at the possible causes of the problem. Knowing what’s going on will help you take the appropriate action.
The following are a possible few reasons why the Xfinity remote not working:
One of the most common reasons for a remote not working maybe that the batteries are dead. If you haven’t used your remote in a while, you should check the batteries.
Simply remove the cover of the battery compartment and take a look. When this occurs, your remote will not work because it won’t have power. Replace the batteries with fresh ones and use them again.
App or Remote Problem
Another possible reason is the problem with either the app or the remote itself. If this happens, you will have to reset your remote in order to get it working properly again. To reset your remote, press and hold the reset button on the back.
Sometimes, this problem can arise when your remote is not programmed properly for your television set. In that case, you will have to program your remote so that it works properly.
It’s possible that your remote has been damaged somehow. When your remote has suffered physical damage, it is possible that it has suffered some internal damage as well.
This can cause critical internal components to malfunction, which can cause the remote to stop working. In this case, you’ll need to get a new one from Xfinity.
Now that we know what might be causing the Xfinity remote not to work, let’s take a look at some solutions.
How To Fix if Xfinity Remote Not Working?
The following are a few solutions that can help you if your Xfinity remote isn’t working and get your remote up and running again:
Replace The Batteries
As we mentioned earlier, one of the most common reasons for a remote not working is that the batteries are dead. If the batteries are old or not working, replace them with new ones.
When you press the remote button five times and see a red light flash, the batteries are low and you need to replace them. Xfinity remotes require two AA batteries.
In some cases, replacing the battery without regard to the low battery indicator may resolve the issue. You may also want to clean out the battery compartment.
You should be able to fix the problem by replacing the batteries with fresh batteries. If this doesn’t work, continue with the next solution.
Program The Remote
When you experience Xfinity Remote Not Working, make sure your remote is programmed properly. The reason for this is that every TV set has a different method of communicating with a remote control that enables it to adjust the volume or change channels.
In such a case, if your Xfinity remote is not programmed, you will need to program and pair it in order to start working and communicating with the TV.
The steps to program the Xfinity remote may vary depending on the remote you have. But do not worry, as we will cover the majority of them.
For XR16 Remote
To program your XR16 remote, follow the steps below:
- If you have an Xfinity Flex TV box, simply point your remote at the TV box and press the Voice button once. Then, follow the instructions on the screen to complete the pairing process.
- However, if you are using an Xfinity remote with a TV or other audio device, just press and hold down the Voice button, then say “program remote” to it.
- Once you have done this, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to finish pairing your device.
Once the pairing has been completed, test if Xfinity Remote is working or not.
For XR15 Remote
To program an Xfinity X1 TV box with your XR15 remote, proceed with these steps.
- Press and hold the i and Xfinity buttons simultaneously on the remote.
- After this, follow the on-screen instructions by providing the code shown.
Once you have paired your remote, see if the issue disappears.
For pairing a remote to a TV, follow these steps.
- Press and hold down the Xfinity and Mute buttons on the remote and wait until the light on top of the remote turns green from red. It will take about 5 seconds.
- After that, enter the five-digit code based on your TV manufacturer. If you don’t know this code, you can find it on Xfinity’s website.
Now, you should be able to pair the remote after you have done the above steps.
For XR11 Remote
- For an XR11 remote, press and hold down the Setup button until the LED turns green.
- Now, press the Xfinity button on the remote.
- Then enter the 3-digit code shown on the screen.
That’s it. Your remote should be now paired. Now check the remote if Xfinity Remote is working or not. If not, go with the next method.
Reset The Remote
You can reset your remote to fix the issue of the Xfinity remote not working. Similar to the programming process, resetting your remote can vary based on the specific remote you have.
To reset your remote, follow the instructions for your respective remote.
For XR16 Remote
Here are the steps to reset the XR16 remote:
- Press and hold the i and Home buttons simultaneously until the light on the remote blinks. It will take about five seconds for the light to blink.
- After that, press the power button, then Last (<- arrow) button, then Volume Down (-) button on your remote in the same sequence to reset your device.
For XR15 Remote
Here are the steps to reset the XR15 remote:
- Press and hold down the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons on the XR15 remote simultaneously until the status light on the remote blinks. Usually, it takes about 5 seconds to blink.
- After that, simply press the 9-8-1 buttons on your remote to complete the factory reset.
For XR11 Remote
Follow these steps to reset the XR11 remote:
- First of all, press and hold the Setup button until the LED at the top turns from red to green.
- Then press 9-8-1.
After you are done, the LED on the remote will blink green twice, which means that it has been reset.
Reset Xfinity Box
You may have a problem with your Xfinity box if none of the above methods have worked. To resolve such a problem, you will need to reset the Xfinity box. Here’s how to reset the Xfinity box:
- Simply press and hold down the Reset button on the box and wait about 5 seconds. Also, you can reset the box through the Xfinity My Account app.
Remove Obstacles That Could Block IR Signals
Sometimes, Blockages between your remote and TV may also cause the issue. Because the remote uses an infrared beam and the TV has an IR sensor, they must be able to transmit this beam without interference.
It’s not uncommon to encounter obstructions such as walls, other electronic signals, such as Bluetooth, or large objects such as furniture or speakers.
If you notice there is a blockage between your remote and the TV, you should try moving the remote or pointing the remote directly at the TV sensor. Many times, you can resolve the issue simply by sitting in a different spot in your home.
We hope that now your Xfinity Remote should now be working.
As you can see above, we have discussed how to fix if Xfinity Remote is not working and the possible causes of this.
Most of the time, we can fix the Xfinity remote. Xfinity remotes rarely stop working completely. Hopefully, one of the solutions in this article will work for you.
Make sure that the remote is clean and the TV is set to the correct input. If none of the above solutions work, you may need to contact Comcast customer service for assistance.
In case you have tried everything on this list but the remote is still not working, buying a new remote is your best option.
Do you have other questions regarding this topic? If so, leave them in the comment box below. We would be happy to help!
Thanks for reading and have a joyful day!