AirPods are expensive devices. However, when you find a minor inconvenience while using them, you might be disappointed with your purchase.
Similarly, when you find issues like difficulty while muting phone calls, meetings, or Siri notifications, then it might irk you. But, you need not worry as our guide has got you covered about how to mute your AirPods!
How to Mute AirPods?
Before understanding how to mute AirPods, you should know that there is no direct method or any inbuilt function to mute AirPods. Therefore, you will have to connect them to a device or software. Also, do not think of blocking the AirPods’ microphone, as you will find 4 microphones in every pair of AirPods.
Recently, with iOS 12, Apple has equipped tapping features in the AirPods. Double-tap on any of your earbuds, and it will activate Siri. You can thus answer or end a call, play or even pause music with it.
When you remove AirPods off your ears, the AirPods sensor will sense it and pause music. Later, when you put them into your ears, AirPods will again resume your music.
However, the drawback of the tapping feature is that you cannot use it to mute your AirPods. Many users find it annoying, and several are irked by the drawback; however, Apple earbuds are made to function in this way.
Are you now wondering how you can use a software or device to mute your AirPods? If yes, scroll to read more, and these methods are executed over any generation of AirPods!
How to Mute AirPods on Call?
There are two methods to mute AirPods during a call; however, the former requires more taps, and many of you might have used it earlier. So let’s know the method before moving to the latter one!
- Tap on your iPhone screen.
- Unlock the iPhone with your unique PIN, Touch ID, or any other biometrics that you have used for security.
- You will see the latest app required for the purpose on your home screen.
- On the top of your phone’s screen, you will see your ongoing call; navigate to call settings.
- Then you will see a microphone icon; tap on it to mute your AirPods, and tap them once more when you want to unmute them.
Most of you might be familiar with this method. However, you can easily comprehend that it’s a hassle. You will have to use several taps and follow a long procedure to mute your AirPods by tapping. The method consumes 10 seconds of your time.
But there’s a fast and easy-peasy method to do the same.
Follow the steps given below to do it faster:
- From your lock screen, click on the name or number of your ongoing call to access the active call
- Your Call Settings will open
- Click the Microphone’s icon; this will mute and unmute your AirPods As required
Yes, it’s an easier and quicker method as you do not have to unlock your phone and then access your Phone application to mute a call. Therefore, it is better than the former one.
How to Mute AirPods on Zoom or Microsoft Teams?
You will again find several methods to mute AirPods while using ant video conferencing apps like Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
Follow the steps given below to mute your AirPods while using Zoom:
When you use AirPods on your computer for conference calls, it’s paired as a Bluetooth device. Therefore, while you set up the pairing process, ensure that your AirPods have the setting “Use AirPods (Hands-Free)” in the app. You can do so by accessing the Zoom playback settings.
- Connect your AirPods
- When you want to mute, tap on the microphone icon given in the Zoom app
- The icon will have a red diagonal line when your microphone is on mute. To unmute, tap the icon.
On your phone, PC, or MacBook, the microphone icon will be located at the bottom of your display. Besides, the microphone icon is situated on the top side of your display on a tablet.
Follow the steps given below to mute AirPods while using Microsoft Teams
No generation of AirPods supports the functionalities of MS Teams fully. Therefore, you have to make some minor settings on your device to make them work.
- Disconnect your AirPods from any other device to which they are connected.
- Connect your AirPods with your computer’s microphone and speaker.
- Disconnect it then and connect the Microphone and speaker to your AirPods.
- Go to Microsoft Teams and Navigate to Settings.
- Tap on devices and change your device to AirPods on Hands-Free mode.
- Click on the Microphone icon in Teams and tap to mute the microphone.
- If it’s already mute, you will see a diagonal line on the icon tap on it to unmute.
Alternatively, you can use a combination of Ctrl+Spacebar keys if you use a PC and for Mac, use a combination of Option+Spacebar. However, these keys combination will unmute the microphone, and when you release them, it will mute you.
How to Mute AirPods Notifications?
Siri is made for convenience. However, AirPods notifications via Siri are embarrassing and trouble in the majority of the scenarios. If you are interrupted by Siri notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and similar devices. You will get apps, messages, calls, and reminders notifications. However, follow the steps given below to disable them:
- Navigate to Setting
- Tap the Notifications list
- Go to Announce notifications to turn off Siri on AirPods
Alternatively, you can explore the Notifications and select an app whose notifications you want to disable, like that of an app or similar.
Kudos! You have now disabled Siri, and when a notification pops, your AirPods won’t interrupt anything.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do AirPods Randomly Stop Playing Music while being connected to your iPhone?
AirPods have an Automatic Ear Detection feature that pauses your activity if it senses any movements. Therefore, your music will be paused while its sensors misinterpret any activity.o;
How to Turn Off AirPods Automatic Ear Detection?
Go to Settings, navigate Bluetooth, and click the “i” icon next to your AirPods. The Automatic Ear Detection will be on. Tap to turn it off.
The Final Word
AirPods are the best available earbuds on the market. Moreover, be it phone calls, meetings, or listening to music, you will get the best and most sound experience with it. However, you often have to mute your AirPods to concentrate or avoid any interruptions.
But, Apple has no direct option to mute AirPods. Considering the requirements of its users, let’s hope for Apple to add it in the future.
If you have any queries, do let us know in the comments section below!