We know that VPN, or virtual private network, is not something that most people would associate with gaming.
That is because gaming can be done from anywhere and everywhere and you don’t need to virtually relocate to somewhere else in the world to play your favorite games.
However, we have seen that there are a few advantages of using VPN especially on your PlayStation 4.
For example, if you connect a VPN on your PlayStation 4 then you can use the PlayStation store from different parts of the world to purchase games only available in that region.
Also, VPN is mostly used for privacy, to protect your personal data against someone spying on your computer as well as bypassing the internet service provider’s firewall.
So it does make sense to use a VPN on your PlayStation 4 but we must tell you that the process is not easy.
Also, Read: Top 5 Best VPN Available Right Now
In this article, we will tell you how to use VPN on your PlayStation 4:
How to use VPN on your PlayStation 4
As we mentioned earlier, the association of gaming with using a VPN is not heard of quite often. This might also be the reason why Sony does not offer a setting to set up VPN connection on your PS4.
So we will have to take the alternative methods in order to set up a VPN for our PlayStation 4.
Method 1: Set-up VPN using your WiFi Router
We all know that in order to connect to the internet, we need a WiFi router. Similarly, if we need to play games on the PS4, we need to connect to the internet via the router.
So it is best that we set up VPN connection using our router so that all the traffic flowing through the router will be encrypted and our personal data will be safe.
For that, you need to first figure out which will be the best VPN for you based on its subscription fees, the data you can use per month, as well as other details.
We will make that decision easier for you through our guide on the best VPN for PS4 as we have tested a number of VPNs and found out the ones which are best for you.
After choosing the VPN, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log in to your router by entering its IP address in any browser. Also, if the router doesn’t connect by only entering an IP address then attach an ethernet cable between your router and PC.
Note: You can find the router’s IP address mentioned on the back of the box it came with. Usually, it will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
- For logging in to your router, you will need to enter the username and password. By default, the username is “admin” and the password is also “admin”. So if you haven’t changed that, it must be the same.
- Now, you need to configure your VPN. This process will vary by one router company to another as well as one VPN service provider to another.
- But you need to first get the configuration files from your VPN provider. These files can be found by asking the respective VPN provider’s support section.
- On the router, you need to find where to configure the VPN settings. Generally, these settings are available in the “Advanced Setup” tab.
- You can also ask your VPN provider’s support for configuring your VPN settings into your router.
- Once the VPN is setup and ready to go, you can check that your IP address will be changed to confirm that it is working.
- After that, just connect your PS4 to the internet via router and it will be connected to the internet via a VPN.
Also, Read: How to Solve CE-34878-0 Error in PS4? [eSportsLatest]
Method 2: Using a computer to use VPN with your PS4
We know that configuring your WiFi router to set up VPN connection for your internet can be hard for most people.
So we have the alternate method of using VPN via the computer which can secure our PS4 as well.
It is also a method that does not require any additional hardware as you only need to do a few tweaks on your PC or Mac.
- Setup the VPN connection on your computer by downloading their software application and logging in with your credentials.
- Once the VPN connection is set up, link your PlayStation 4 to the computer and use the computer as a passthrough. You will require an ethernet cable to link your PS4 to the computer.
- Now, you need to change connection settings on your VPN. Now that the VPN is installed on your PC, open Control Panel in Windows.
- Go to Network & Internet Settings and click on Change Adapter Options.
- If you are using Windows 10, the process will be Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network & Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings.
- From the list of connections, select your VPN connection, right-click on it and choose “Properties”.
- Choose Sharing and click on Allow Network Users to Connect through this Computer’s Internet Connection.
- We have now set up our PC and Internet Connection to allow other network users to connect through the PC.
- Now, we need to set up the internet connection on our PS4.
- So start your PS4, go to its Home dashboard, go to top row icons and find the Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu, click on Network Settings and then click on Set up an Internet Connection.
- Now, choose the option Use a LAN Cable to connect to the network. Click on Easy Setup after this and the PS4 will scan for the connection by itself.
In this article, we have mentioned the two best methods to set up a VPN connection for your PS4 which are via your router or via your PC.
We know that the method via router can be quite difficult for most people but its advantage is that it works wirelessly and all the time.
On the other hand, the method via PC is easier and can be done quite easily but you have to use an ethernet cable to stay connected to a VPN for your PS4.
In both cases, you will be able to start playing games on your console after configuring your VPN connection.
Also, Read: VPN Buying Guide: All You Need to Know