If you have a car that has Apple CarPlay inside it then it could be the absolute best feature. But when Apple CarPlay is not working then it can be a real disaster as well.
It is worth noting that the Apple CarPlay not working issue took place on my car as well and it was totally random.
I was able to solve the issue thanks to my knowledge regarding the matter and I do believe that you can solve the issue in your car as well.
In this article, I will be explaining to you how you can also solve the Apple CarPlay not working issue on your vehicle.
How to Fix Apple CarPlay not working issue?
There are various reasons why your Apple CarPlay stops working on your car and due to that, we have to try different solutions as well.
So we will tell you about a variety of solutions you can try to fix this issue and we are sure that one of these solutions will be able to help you solve the problem.
1. Allow Apple CarPlay when the iPhone is locked?
It is possible that you have not allowed the Apple CarPlay to work when your iPhone is locked which is the reason why your Apple CarPlay stops working.
There is a very simple fix to this issue and you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone and tap on General.
- Tap on the CarPlay option and select your car from the list.
- Toggle the Allow CarPlay while the locked button to on position.
- That is it. Now, your Apple CarPlay will work even when your iPhone is locked.
If your issue gets resolved with this troubleshooting step then it’s great but if not then you can try the other solutions mentioned below.
2. Turn on Siri
It is worth noting that you need to enable Siri in order to use Apple CarPlay. Follow the steps to enable Siri for hands-free functionality:
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search and enable these options:
- Listen for Hey Siri.
- Press the Side button for Siri.
- Allow Siri when locked.
- Once you have enabled these options, your problem will be fixed.
3. Try a different USB port or cable
It is possible that you have a problem connecting to Apple CarPlay because your USB port or the USB cable you are using is at fault.
Try to change the USB port if you have multiple ports in your car and see if the Apple CarPlay starts working on another port.
If not then you also need to change the USB port that you are using to connect your iPhone to the car and see if it starts working or not.
4. Restart iPhone
We have seen that some problems are inexplicable and they occur randomly so the best thing you can do is restart your iPhone.
I have personally experienced that sometimes, my Apple CarPlay starts working when I restart my iPhone and there is no apparent reason why it did not work before the restart but it is what it is.
- In order to restart your iPhone, press and hold the Power button with any of the volume buttons.
- Pull the slider to shut down your iPhone and wait for the device to switch off.
- Turn it back on by holding the side button until the Apple logo appears.
5. Turn Off USB Restricted Mode
It is possible that some of the settings on your iPhone are causing problems for Apple CarPlay which is the reason why it is not working properly or not at all.
One of the Settings we have found is the USB Restricted Mode available on iPhones which needs to be turned off in order to make Apple CarPlay work again.
To do this, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Tap on Settings and select Face/Touch ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode and go to the USB Accessories toggle. Turn this toggle on so that USB Restricted Mode is disabled.
6. Restart Infotainment System
One thing worth noting is that the problem might not be on your iPhone but it is possible that your Car’s infotainment system could be having issues.
To fix that, you need to restart your car’s infotainment system.
If there is a power button on your car’s infotainment system then pressing it down will restart the infotainment system.
In some cars, we have seen that the volume knob can be pressed to switch off the infotainment system and turn it back again.
7. Update Infotainment System’s software
If you have tried every step mentioned above including restarting your car’s infotainment system then it is possible that you need to update your car’s infotainment system so that it supports Apple CarPlay.
While it is not possible to update your Car’s infotainment system software via an OTA update on most cars, some cars do have that option as well.
In order to update your car’s infotainment system’s firmware, you need to either go to your car’s service center and get it updated or read the manual to update it manually. We do recommend the former though.
We have mentioned how you can fix the Apple CarPlay not working issue via the solutions mentioned for both your iPhone and your Car as well.
It is worth noting that you can also contact Apple support and tell them the exact issues you are facing and they will be able to help you as well.
Also, feel free to share this article with your friends and family who are having trouble with their Apple CarPlay not working as well so that they can also fix their issues.