Do you want to know how to add roles in Discord? In that case, read this article to learn how.
Discord is a very popular VOIP service that’s perfect for everyone, especially gamers. It is easy to use and has a number of useful features. Adding, assigning, and managing the roles on the Discord server are among these features.
Discord server roles describe what members are permitted to do on the server and what they are not allowed to do.
If you are a newbie and you do not know how to add roles in Discord, continue reading. I will guide you step by step in this article. Make sure you already have a discord server before continuing with the below steps.
So, let’s get started!
Also, Read: How to Fix Discord Update Failed Loop Error
How To Add Roles In Discord On Computer
Before assigning roles to some members, you must first create roles and define their authority. Once you’ve created your own service in Discord, you can add roles. To do that, follow these steps:
- First, open your Discord server and right-click it.
- Go to Server Settings and then select Roles.
- Click on “Create Role” to add roles to the selected Discord server.
- Within the opened window, you can edit the added Discord role, including its name, color, and icon.
- For an added role, you have the option to set 29 permissions relating to general, text, and voice.
- When you have completed setting up your role and its permissions in Discord, simply click the back button.
That’s it, you’re done.
Discord Server Permissions You Can Set Up
The levels of permission are listed below. Let’s quickly examine them.
- Administrator – This is the highest level of permission you can grant to a user. The user has full access to all server permissions. Since the user has a lot of power with this permission, it can be risky for them. Think twice before granting it to anyone.
- Color – You can give the role a color by using this option to help point out the role a server member holds without having to view their profile.
- Allow Anyone to @mention this role – @mention is a command that pings specific users. Disable it for the relevant role if you want to prevent people from spamming groups with notifications.
- Manage Channels – By using this, you can create, edit, or remove channels from a server.
- Manage Roles – This allows you to delete, create, or edit roles. For most roles, this should be disabled, and only your most trusted users should have access.
- Manage Emojis – Users can use this permission to add or remove emojis from the server.
- View Audit Log – This permission allows a user to view server audits.
- Manage Server – This allows a user to add bots to a server, switch voice channel regions, and even change the name of the server.
- Send Messages – With this permission, a user can send text messages.
- Send TTS Messages – This permission allows users to send text-to-speech messages.
- Manage Messages – Users with this permission can delete or pin others’ messages.
- Embed Links – With this permission, users are able to embed hyperlinks in chats.
- Attach Files – Users can attach files in chat using this permission.
- Read Message History – Users can scroll back and see previous messages with this permission.
- Mention Everyone – this permission allows the user to send push notifications to everyone in the channel.
- Use External Emojis – This permission enables users to utilize emojis from other servers.
- Add Reactions – With this permission, the user can add reactions to a message.
- Connect – This permission allows the user to listen to the voice channel.
- Speak – This allows a user to speak on the voice channel.
- Mute Members – this permission disables another user’s ability to speak.
- Deafen Members – a user can turn off another user’s ability to hear on the channel with this permission.
- Move Members – With this permission, users can move from one channel to another channel
- Use Voice Activity – This permission lets the user speak without using Push-to-Talk.
- Priority Speaker – Using this permission, the user can reduce the volume of other users’ voices on the channel so that their words are more audible.
How To Assign Roles In Discord
You need to assign roles to the members of your server once you’ve customized all the roles. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click the right button on your server and go to the Server Settings.
- On the left side, select Members under User Management.
- The member list will appear.
- Choose the member to whom you want to assign the role, then click on the plus (+) sign.
- Select the Role you want to assign to the specific member from the list.
Any time you want, you can modify a user’s role and also assign multiple roles to a single user.
How To Delete Roles in Discord
You can delete roles in Discord by following these steps:
- Click on Server Settings by right-clicking on your service.
- Then click on Roles.
- Select the role you want to delete.
- To delete the role, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Delete.
- To confirm, press OK.
How to Add Roles In Discord On Mobile?
User interfaces of Discord are similar across devices. Therefore, there is little difference between creating and assigning roles on computers and mobile devices. Beginners may find it hard to understand, so here’s a short explanation!
Create Roles In Discord Mobile App
It is necessary to create roles before assigning them. Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to your server.
- Besides the server’s title, tap the arrow.
- You will see a drop-down menu, choose Server Settings.
- Click on Roles.
- To create a role, tap the plus(+) sign.
- Define the role in a few words and give color.
- Select the permissions that relate to the role and enable them.
- Save your changes.
To create more roles, repeat this step multiple times.
Assign Roles in Discord mobile app
- Go to the settings and select Members.
- To assign roles, select the members you wish to assign them.
- To assign roles to each member, check the boxes next to their names.
Once you’ve saved the changes, you’re done.
Above, I’ve explained how to add roles in Discord as well as everything you need to know about this topic.
There are minor differences between adding roles and assigning roles on computers and mobile devices. If you have any questions regarding this article, let me know in the comment box.
Thanks for reading!
Also, Read: How to Setup and Use Soundboard for Discord