- Are you annoyed by specific websites that often send you unwanted or irrelevant notifications, push Ads, and pop irrelevant content?
- I will guide you through the step-by-step process of blocking a website on Android, along with some useful tips.
- There is no one common way to do it, there are many ways to block a website, but I will recommend 5 of the popular ways to block a website on Android.
Are you annoyed by specific websites that often send you unwanted or irrelevant notifications, push Ads, and pop irrelevant content? You can easily block those kind of websites on your Android. That is exactly what we are going to discuss in this article.
I will guide you through the step-by-step process of blocking a website on Android, along with some useful tips. How to block websites on Android is one of the most searched key terms on Google, which indicates most Android users are feeling too embarrassed by websites that are relevant to them. Blocking a website on Android is not a complex process until you know how.
There is no one common way to do it, there are many ways to block a website, but I will recommend 5 of the popular ways to block a website on Android. I will help you with that process; now, without a delay, let’s get started.
How to Block Websites on Android – 5 Simple Ways
1. Block Websites on Android with a Third-Party App
There are several third-party apps available for Android that allow you to block websites; one of my suggestions is BlockSite.
In simple terms, BlockSite is a browser extension and app for Google Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers that allow users to block access to specific websites, helping them stay productive and avoid distractions.
It works by creating a blacklist of websites that the user chooses to block, blocking access to these sites for the specified time period. It can be used for personal or professional purposes, and it is designed to be a simple, user-friendly tool for those who want to control their online habits.
How to use BlockSite to Block Websites?
- Download and Install BlockSite from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the app and sign in or create an account.
- Tap the “Create” button in the top right corner on the main screen.
- Type in the website URL you want to block and tap on “Add.”
- Repeat the steps if you want to block more websites.
- Once you have added all the websites you want to block, tap the “Enabled” toggle switch in the top right corner to turn on the app.
You will be redirected to a default BlockSite page whenever you try to access the blocked websites. To edit or remove blocked websites, tap the “Settings” button in the top right corner, then tap “Manage Blocked Sites” and make the necessary changes.
You can also set the password to prevent others from disabling the app or editing the blocked websites. To do this, tap “Settings” and “Set Password.” You’re done! Enjoy a more productive and distraction-free browsing experience from BlockSite.
2. Block Websites with a Firewall
Firewall may be used to restrict websites on Android if you want to take things a step further. There are root-free alternatives; however, most of these call for rooting your smartphone. The name of one of the best firewalls that I use and recommend is NoRoot Firewall.
In a Nutshell: NoRoot Firewall is an app designed for Android devices that allow users to control and manage their internet connectivity. It provides a firewall solution that doesn’t require rooting, which means it works without having to gain administrative access to the device.
With NoRoot Firewall, users can block incoming and outgoing internet access to individual apps, filter traffic, and set up rules for specific apps. It also provides detailed reports of each app’s data usage and transfer speed. The app is especially useful for those concerned about privacy, security, and data usage on their device.
How to Block Websites with NoRoot Firewall?
- Download and install the NoRoot Firewall app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and click on the “Start” button.
- Tap on the Global Icon, and Tap the “New Pre Filter” Option
- Tick the Wi-Fi and data icons if you want the website blocked on both connections.
- Enter the address of the website you want to block.
- On the Port tab, select *, then press OK.
- Go back to the Home tab and press Start.
3. Use an Anti-Virus App
Installing an anti-virus on your system is always been a common method to block irrelevant things from your device.Indeed here are some general steps you can follow to block a website using an anti-virus app on Android:
- Install an anti-virus app on your Android device from the Google Play Store. Some popular options include Avast, McAfee, Norton, and AVG.
- Open the app and navigate to the “Settings” menu.
- Look for an option that allows you to block websites or URLs. This option may be called “Web Shield” or “Web Protection.”
- Enable the website blocking feature by toggling the switch or checkbox.
- Enter the website URL or domain name that you want to block.
- Save your settings and exit the app.
Now, whenever you or anyone else tries to access the blocked website, the anti-virus app will prevent it from loading. Keep in mind that this method only blocks websites within the app that you’ve installed it on, and it won’t work across all apps or devices.
4. Block Websites by Modifying the Host File
To block a website on an Android device by modifying the host file, follow these steps:
- Open a file manager app on your Android device. If you don’t have one, you can download one from the Google Play Store.
- Navigate to the root directory of your Android device. This is usually located in the “Internal Storage” folder.
- Look for a folder called “system” and navigate to it.
- In the “system” folder, find the file named “hosts” and open it using a text editor app.
- Scroll to the bottom of the file and add a new line with the IP address of the website you want to block, followed by a space, and then the domain name of the website. For example, to block the website “example.com,” you would add the following line:
- Save the changes to the “hosts” file.
Note: Modifying the hosts file requires root access on your Android device. If your device is not rooted, you will not be able to modify the hosts file.
5. Block Websites Using Privacy-Oriented Browsers
The last but one of the most efficient ways to block websites is by using privacy-oriented browsers. These privacy-Oriented Browsers are web browsers that prioritize the privacy and security of their users by blocking trackers, hiding their IP addresses, and encrypting their data. Some examples of privacy-oriented browsers are
These browsers protect users’ personal information and online activities from being monitored by advertisers, governments, and hackers. They also offer features like anti-phishing, anti-malware, and cookie control, making them an ideal choice for people concerned about their online privacy and security.
I personally use Brave as my primary browser on all of my devices. Since even most of the popular websites don’t support Tor, it is hard to use if you are using the white web.
These are the 5 simple ways to block websites on Android, there are many ways, but these are reliable and highly used ways.
I hope this article helped you eliminate inappropriate websites and block them. If you find this article useful, share it with your friends who are often annoyed by this kind of website. Thanks.