- Mail app on macOS may or may not suit everybody’s preferences. Maybe a few features are missing that you need regularly.
- The notifications of the emails might annoy a few as well, or you want to get rid of the emails together.
- The best way is to log out of mail on macOS or just disable it to resolve all the issues.
Don’t want to receive emails on your macOS mail anymore? To stop syncing your emails on your Mac, you can sign out of the Mail app.
In this article, we have provided detailed steps to log out of mail on macOS, either temporarily or permanently, depending on your requirement.
How is the Mail App Different from the Web Mail Services?
The key difference between the Mail app and the WebMail services is that whenever a user logs out of the email account, he or she does not want to log in to that account again.
Because logging out of the Mail app means the user does not want to send or receive emails with that account anymore.
On the contrary, logging out of webmail services like Gmail or Outlook means you are just clearing out the cookies that will help you log in quickly on the web browser.
Since the browser does not keep the details of your email, logging out of the webmail does not have an impact.
How to Log Out of Mail on Mac?
If you want to log out of the Mail app on your Mac, here is how you can do that:
- Firstly, open the Mail app.
- Now, navigate to the Mail section of the menu bar and click on Accounts present on the top.
- Now, click on the mail account you want to log out of.
- Finally, Uncheck the mail option.
Now, you can see that the specific email account is disabled from your Mac, and you have successfully logged out of it. You can repeat the same process with multiple other accounts on the Mac.
How to Permanently Delete the Email Account from Mac?
If you do not want to use the email account anymore on your Mac, then you can go ahead and delete it permanently. Here is how you can do that:
- Firstly, launch the Mail application.
- Now, click on the Mail menu present on the top and choose the Accounts option present from the dropdown.
- Now, select the account that you want to delete permanently.
- Click the Delete Account button to remove the email account from your system permanently.
- Finally, click on the Ok button to log out of Mail on macOS.
Now, you will no longer receive emails from that specific email, and the data downloaded from iCloud will get deleted.
Move or Copy the Emails Before Deleting the Email Account Permanently
If you have any important emails to retain, then it is recommended to either move them or copy them to another email account. Here is how you can do that:
- Firstly, select the email you would like to retain.
- Now, press Command + Click to either move or copy the emails to the desired location. You can also move the emails to the desired location by performing a drag-and-drop action.
We hope this article has provided you with clear insights on how to log out of mail on Mac. Whether you want to remove the mail temporarily or permanently, the above steps should be able to help you with the logout.